Everyone has seen photos of white houses on a cliff with the blue sea ,a postcard perfect place called Santorini.It is one of the most beautiful places on earth and popular holiday destination for families , couples and honeymooners. Like many other famous locations, Santorini can be super crowded with tourists at its best months. I hope these tips will help you plan your time in Santorini to enjoy the fullest.
1. You can reach Santorini by ferries or flight . You can also check the schedule of the ferries online and book in advance .
2. Although it is a good idea to avoid peak season like summer, but do take note that during spring or autumn, the weather might be chilly and windy in the evening.And the water can be cold for swimming.
3.Greece is surrounded by Ionian , Aegean , Mediterranean and Cretan Sea and the one we see from Santorini is Aegean Sea.
The gorgeous Aegean Sea
4 .Beaches in Santorini are not the famous ones in Greece , because of the sand being black or red from the volcano eruption .But the water is crystal clear blue.
5. The best and popular beaches in Santorini are Kamari beach, Perissa beach, Perivolos ,Agio Georgos,Red beach , White beach and Amoudi bay.
Looking over Amoudi Bay
6.Greek people in general are very religious and there are more than 450 churches of all shapes in Santorini island itself.
7.White and blue houses in Greece are not only located in Santorini but in other Cyclades islands such as Mykonos , Naxos etc.
the famous photo spot also known as three blue dome of Santorini
8. Santorini is quite a big island with few different towns. Oia , the most famous one with lots of expensive hotels and resorts ( this is the one you see photos of on the internet) and Fira also called as Thira, the main town.
9.If you arrive Santorini by sea , you will be arriving to the base of Fira . From there, you have to take cable car or donkey to reach the main Fira town.
10.Fira is the place where local lives,so you can find cheaper restaurants and lots of shops and basically the center of everything.
11.Other towns you can visit are Firostefani, Imerovigli, Pirgos, Perissa, Akrotiri, etc.
12.Going around the island is super easy .They have very affordable buses going around the different villages.Or You can easily rent cars, Atvs or bikes and the prices are very reasonable.
13.In my opinion Fira is as beautiful as Oia. So give equally time to explore.
14.Santorini is more of a romantic relaxing island .If you are a party lover, you can visit sister island which is mykonos with lots of party spots.
15.There are lots of activities like sailing , hiking activities, wine tasting and enjoying the world-famous Santorini’s sunset.
View of the island from the sea
16.You can also visit the Santorini Volcano . It is a good day trip .but the weather get very hot in the summer.
17.If you don’t have someone helping you with your luggage, the island is not a luggage friendly place.
18.It gets really hot in the day time and very windy in the evening .
19. Oia is very crowded with lots of tourists. It is best to always find the narrow streets that lead to the view of the sea.
20.If you don’t stay in a luxury hotel but want to chill in a pool , you can visit Lioyerma Lounge Cafe Pool Bar Oia . It is a place where u can order drinks, food and enjoy the swimming pool.
21.Google map is not that useful in Oia or Fira. If you have limited time and want to visit to a particular place, do research in the internet before visiting.
22.For the great view of Oia with a limited budget, visit Lotza restaurant.
23.If you are coming on a cruise , there is a fast boat that directly goes to Oia , and back to fira town by bus. It is definitely a good choice if yo aren’t on any tour. It cost 20 euro.
24.Another useful tip is lots of Cruises ( one cruise might have 3k people ) will dock a day in Santorini. Go ahead and check http://ports.cruisett.com to see how many people will be arriving to the island to avoid the crowds.
25.Even if you have no interest in Fashion, Wear something light and White. It will make everything better I swear.